Letters to the Editor

Letter: University disregarding Jewish students

One would think that after UC Davis upset 11 percent of its incoming freshmen in 2006 by having move-in day on Rosh Hashanah, one of the two Jewish Holy Days, they’d know better the next time around.

Low and behold, the following Move-In Day in 2007 fell on Yom Kippur, the other Holy Day on the Jewish calendar. Once again, Jewish students missed an important holiday normally spent with family.

Picnic Day, arguably the most important and exciting day of the school year for students, faculty, alumni, friends, and family, is on the first night of Passover. Picnic Day’s theme this year is a “kaleidoscope of voices.” This kaleidoscope of voices must be broken, because a significant minority group will be underrepresented on Saturday. I know my voice won’t be there. How can Jewish holidays continue to be neglected? Shame on Student Housing, shame on the Picnic Day Board, and shame on this university that takes great pride in its diversity.

TYE GREGROY

sophomore

political science

Letter: Child Abuse Prevention Month

Many of us think of child abuse in terms of the most extreme, dramatic criminal cases and we worry about what to do if we witness or suspect child abuse. For hundreds of Yolo County children, it is not a case of abuse or neglect; it is simply numerous lost opportunities to make a positive impact on that child’s life.

At First 5 Yolo we fund programs and services that support parents and families so children 0 to 5 years of age enter school healthy and ready to learn. We believe the best way to prevent child abuse is to reduce caregiver stress or substance abuse and stop the anger, neglect and child abuse before it happens. In fact, for every dollar invested in prevention, Yolo County can save an estimated $10 that would otherwise be spent dealing with the consequences of child abuse.

April is Child Abuse Prevention Month and First 5 Yolo has joined with the Yolo County Children’s Alliance and Child Abuse Prevention Council in a public awareness campaign encouraging parents and caregivers to “Take a Minute to Make a Difference in the Life of a Child.”

By focusing on the positive: hugging, talking, praising and making children feel safe and secure, they will grow as more loving, caring people and, in the future, become better parents and successful adults themselves. This is a worthwhile way to spend a minute.

JULIE GALLELO

executive director

First 5 Yolo