The Davis Fire Department hosts open house as part of Fire Prevention Month

Station 31 opened its doors to the public to teach about fire prevention, fire safety 

By ANTHONY W. ZAMMIKIEL  — city@theaggie.org

On Oct. 29, the Davis Fire Department (DFD) commemorated Fire Prevention Month by hosting an open house at Station 31, located at 530 5th St. Starting at 10 a.m., firefighters operating the 5th Street station hosted demonstrations and activities for adults and children alike to learn more about fire prevention and safety. The DFD also had a barbecue outside the station, providing free hot dogs for the families attending the event.

At the open house, there were five separate demonstrations. During one, firefighters showed attendees how different pulley systems assist them with carrying heavier weights. They also allowed children to try on the attire that station members wear while responding to emergency events. During the main demonstration of the day, which occurred on a blocked-off section of E Street between 4th and 5th Streets, firefighters set up an inflatable room in which they showed children how to prevent fires from starting as well as how to respond if a fire does start. 

According to Patrick Sandholt, the fire marshal for Station 31, the event was meant to be both positive and informative. He said that it was mainly intended to educate younger members of the public about what to do in the case of a fire-related emergency.

“Really, the purpose of the event is to educate the public on fire safety, to teach kids fire safety and to be comfortable with being around the fire department,” Sandholt said. “The main message here is to teach kids to stop, drop and roll, to call 9-1-1 in case of an emergency and to not play with matches.” 

Sandholt said that throughout the month of October, the DFD also visited all the public elementary schools in Davis to hold assemblies for first-grade classes during which they taught students how to stay safe and prevent fires from starting.

Though the open house concluded the activities that the official DFD hosted for Fire Prevention Month, Sandholt said that Station 31 is always open for the public to come and tour during normal business hours.

Davis’s Fire Prevention Month has been observed by the city ever since former City Council Member and former Davis Mayor Brett Lee formalized the event on behalf of city council on Oct. 7, 2014.

“In recognition of Fire Prevention Month, October 2014, the city of Davis, California is committed to ensure the safety and security of all those living and visiting Davis,” Lee said in a statement to City Council. “Home fires are extremely dangerous and kill. Davis residents should install smoke detectors in every sleeping room outside of every separate sleeping area, and on every level of the home.”

Fire Prevention Services can be contacted via phone at (530) 757-5682 or via email at fireprevention@cityofdavis.org. Inspection, Plans and Permit Services can also be contacted with the same number and the same email address. The Davis Fire Department can be contacted at 9-1-1 or (530) 756-3400 for emergencies and (530) 747-5400 for non-emergencies. Additional information for the Davis Fire Department can be found online at https://www.cityofdavis.org/city-hall/fire-department

Written By: Anthony W. Zammikielcity@theaggie.org