Friday, May 3, 2024

Moo-ving out and moo-ving on

Our tips for saving money and reducing stress during the moving process

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

Yes, it’s that time of year again in Davis. We’re at the tail end of the last quarter in the academic calendar, seniors are preparing for graduation, others are planning for summer and it seems like everyone on campus is packing up their stuff and getting ready to move.

College students are part of a cycle; they often pack their dorms or apartments with items that they received from graduating friends or other people in the area, and when their time comes to move out, they continue to pass those tables, couches or beanbags on to the next set of underclassmen. To make moving out less overwhelming and financially stressful, students can earn some extra cash by selling items they’ll no longer need or that may be too difficult to transport.

Using social media and reselling sites such as Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist are great ways to sell your belongings. Many students and locals who are in need of or interested in home essentials shop on these sites in search of great deals. For these strategies to be effective, remember to give yourself a few weeks to list items before your move out date.

However, those who have sufficient space in a lawn, garage or driveway and want to unload their belongings quickly can always host a yard sale. In addition to catching the attention of locals in need, this method has proven to be an efficient way to sell furniture, kitchen appliances, home decor and clothes.

Renting a U-Haul or hiring people to help you move can be expensive, especially for a college student on a tight budget. Moving is always a hassle, and having less to pack is the best way to make the transition easier and cheaper for you and your family.

In addition to ridding yourself of unneeded belongings, don’t forget to maximize your meal plan and use up remaining Aggie Cash and funds on laundry cards. There is no way of withdrawing that money and whatever goes unused will be lost.

Finally, don’t forget about the food you have left in your fridge and on your shelves. If you have no use for particular items, instead of letting that food go to waste, donating it to The Pantry or a Freedge on campus or downtown helps people in need.

Of course, just because it’s June, that doesn’t mean that everyone will be leaving Davis or transitioning to a new apartment or house. For students who will continue living in the same location but want a new set of home appliances or furniture, be sure to check the reselling sites we mentioned for especially good deals. Enjoy the time you have to drive around town with your roommates looking to score on deals in yard sales. Take it from some soon-to-be graduates, you’ll miss these experiences when you’re moving out for good.

Written by: The Editorial Board