Wednesday, September 25, 2024

An introduction to the Davis Farmers Market

New school year, same beloved farmers market

By OLIVIA HOKR — city@theaggie.org

The Davis Farmers Market is a college town staple that has been around for over 50 years. Year-round, rain or shine, students and families gather in Central Park to enjoy a variety of vendors. From fresh produce to food from local restaurants to handmade accessories, the Davis Farmers Market has it all. 

The farmers market takes place at 301 C Street every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. From October through April it takes place on Wednesdays from 3 to 6 p.m. in addition to the Saturday hours. 

The weekly market has been recognized and awarded with more than 10 achievements since its establishment by different newspapers and magazines. Recently, three local restaurants who sell at the farmers market were featured in the premiere of Food Network’s “Best Bite in Town.” These include Handheld Sweet & Savory Pies, The Hotdogger and Zumapoke. 

“The Davis Farmers Market Cookbook,” written by Ann M. Evans, a former mayor of Davis and a co-founder of the market, includes details of the inspiring history and development. The farmers market’s website shares excerpts that describe the prevalence of community and support of local businesses. 

“The market in Davis could be a market in any town where the public good is put to the use of the people, where the surrounding soil is fertile and worked,” Evans wrote. “And where people of different faiths and purposes on the planet are willing to slow down, gather together and shop while they swap the news.”

Randii MacNear has been involved with the farmers market since 1978. After graduating college, she moved to Davis and quickly became devoted to the little market in Central Park. What began as her weekly Saturday activity turned into a career of dedication to healthy food, local businesses and building community. 

As one of the first few established farmers markets in California, the Davis Farmers Market has evolved into something so iconic to the city of Davis. At its start, the market was merely a handful of farmers selling their produce in an underdeveloped park. There are now 90 different sellers each week, 65 of which are farmers. It is estimated that over 500,000 people now come through the market every year. The farmers market brings a special sense of community and comfort to this small town for both the families and the college students. 

“It nourishes people, it gets people outside, it creates community, it gives people hope, it makes them feel happy, it smells delicious [and] kids love coming to the market,” MacNear said. “It’s just all the right things. It’s really remarkable when you think about it. It’s so simple and it’s not a new concept. We’re the only ones who are finally catching on here in the United States. All over the world the marketplace is the hub of civilization.”

MacNear is now the executive director of the market. She continues to spend her time ensuring the Davis Farmers Market remains an enjoyable and memorable experience and is committed to creating a welcoming environment that people desire to return to each week. MacNear has had the pleasure of engaging with UC Davis students weekly and hearing about their involvement with the market. 

“We love having the students there,” MacNear said. “They love the fruit, and they love to meet the farmers and the sellers. Many, many students come up to me to say, ‘I was so lonely when I came to Davis. I didn’t know anybody and I come here to the farmer’s market and I feel like I have family here.’”

The Davis Farmers Market continues to be a favorite among students who are learning to navigate their new town. It has become one of the most popular places to spend a Saturday morning with fellow Aggies. Katie Borgeson, a third-year linguistics and sociology double major, shared her loyalty for her Saturday tradition.

“The Davis Farmers Market is my favorite place on Earth,” Borgeson said. “Everywhere else I go is merely a waste of my time. I could’ve been at the Davis Farmers Market.”

Written by: Olivia Hokr — city@theaggie.org