Women’s water polo preview

Teams: No. 10 UC Davis vs. No. 9 San Jose State

Records: Aggies, 13-7; Spartans, 9-9

When: Saturday at noon

Where: Aquatics Center – San Jose, Calif.

Who to Watch: It’s been said that Los Angeles changes you.

Redshirt freshman Rachelle Smith’s performance at the LMU Invitational last weekend is living proof.

The Valley Center, Calif. native had a breakout weekend, doubling her season goal total with five goals, while adding four assists and three steals in just 58 minutes.

Did you know? Before the Aggies’ 7-6 victory Feb. 24, they had not defeated the Spartans in over six years.

Preview: As the last third of the regular season approaches, UC Davis is gaining close-game experience that could prove to bevaluable down the road.

In the past two weeks UC Davis has played six one-goal games and won three of them.

Playing these tight games expands our mental toughness and our base of our experience, said head coach Jamey Wright.

The Aggies’ last one-goal contest was their overtime loss to Loyola Marymount on Mar. 8.

UC Davis will be looking to prove its mental toughness Saturday by bouncing back from the draining loss.

San Jose State is the perfect game for us at this point in the season. Wright said. They’re a really tough opponent, a good top-10 team.

The last time these two teams tussled, the Aggies sparked a 6-0 lead through the first three quarters, but ended up barely scraping by with a 7-6 victory.

Although the Aggies have already defeated the Spartans once this season, with a win they will have their first victory at San Jose State in 15 years