Men’s Golf Preview

Event: Wyoming Cowboy Classic

Where: North Course at Talking Stick Golf Club – Scottsdale, Ariz.

When: Today and Tuesday, all day

Who to watch: Closing in on the final chapter of his senior season, Matt Marshall will look to lead the Aggies this weekend at the Cowboy Classic.

In his freshman season with UCLA, Marshall posted a 68 at the same tournament, and with any luck the Saratoga, Calif. native will have a repeat performance for UC Davis.

Did you know? In his maiden season with the Aggies, freshman Austin Graham has competed in all nine tournaments this season, averaging 73.5 stokes per round.

Preview: The UC Davis men’s golf team is coming off a rough performance that saw it finish 10th out of an 11-team pool at the Oregon Duck Invitational on Mar. 25.

The Aggies averaged 76.4 strokes as a team and didn’t have a single golfer place in the top 10 for the tournament.

But hopefully they got that out of their system.

Returning to action today, the Aggies will bask in 80 degrees of Arizona sun and tee off against a tough field of play that features 22 teams, including host Wyoming, Southern Utah, UTEP, UCLA, Boise State and Arizona.

Filling the card for the Aggies will most likely be Marshall, Graham and juniors Ramie Sprinkling and Nate Pistacchio, with a wild card fifth slot. In four of the past six tournaments, sophomore Phil Huffman hasbeen receiving the nod, averaging 79 strokes per 18 holes.

Matt Miller