Women’s tennis preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. No. 3 Stanford

Records: Aggies, 11-8; Cardinal, 15-4

Where: Taube Family Tennis Stadium, Palo Alto, Calif.

When: Today at 3 p.m.

Who to watch: Desiree Stone lost Mar. 7. Ever since then, she has done nothing but win.

The sophomore from North Hollywood, Calif. has captured a victory in seven straight singles matches to improve her individual record to 14-4.

Did you know? The Aggies have matched up with the Cardinal twice in the past three seasons, both resulting in UC Davis losses.

Most recently, the Aggies fell 0-7 to the Cardinal in Palo Alto on Jan. 25, 2007.

Preview: The UC Davis women’s tennis team has been red hot since the beginning of March, posting seven wins to only three losses in that time period.

After falling most recently to Cal Poly on Saturday, 5-2, the Aggies will take a break from conference play to face the Cardinal.

Stanford has recently claimed victories over No. 8 Southern California, No. 9 UCLA and No. 44 Sacramento State.

In the victory over the Hornets on Apr. 9, senior Celia Durkin defeated junior Anastassia Lyssenko 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8) in singles play while also capturing the victory in doubles with freshman teammate Carolyn McVeigh.

Today’s match between UC Davis and Stanford is long overdue.

It was originally scheduled for Jan. 25 but was then pushed back to Jan. 29 due to inclement weather. The rain, however, had not let up by Jan. 29, and the match was postponed until this afternoon.

Max Rosenblum