Monday, April 15, 2024

Women’s water polo preview

Teams: No. 10UC Davis vs. Pacific

Records: Aggies, 21-8; Tigers, 4-24

When: Today at 4 p.m.

Where: Schaal Aquatics Center

Who to watch: On the opening whistle of each period, UC Davis fires a torpedo in the tank to capture opening possession.

The torpedo: junior attacker Lindsay Kiyama.

The speedster from Concord, Calif. has not only won 71 of 78 sprints for UC Davis, but she also leads the team with 46 steals this season.

Did you know? Theeight Aggie seniors who will have their last home game today have accomplished some amazing feats.

This year they have accounted for 178 of the total 298 goals scored.

Over their four-year stay, they have captured a Western Water Polo Association championship, a fifth-place NCAA finish, and were twice second in the WWPA.

Preview: The last home game of the season is all about keeping streaks alive.

The Aggies have won an impressive nine-straight games, a mark they have not reached in nine years. Conversely, the Tigers have lost eight-straight games and have fallen victim 12-straight times to UC Davis entering today’s contest.

It will be the Aggies’ final tune-up before the WWPA Championships from Apr. 25 to 27.

“This week we’ll probably work on some situational things, like 5-on-6 and time-out plays,” head coach Jamey Wright said. “These are little things that we might need at conference, things that we can tweak and fine-tune.”

The Aggies will have trouble fine-tuning their defense into anything better than their impressive 8-3 victory over the Santa Clara Broncos, who they shut out for the first 29 minutes of the game.

While the team carries a defense-first mindset, it will look to touch up its offense today, as well.

“We want to play crisp and polished water polo [against Pacific], finishing our counterattacks and making shots with defenders on our backs,” Wright said.

But as important as improving its offense and defense are, the overarching theme of the contest will be bidding farewell to its tremendous senior class: Christi Raycraft, Jessica Soza, Casie Mota, Mary Lowe, Ashley Greenwood, Jaclyn Loberg, Laura Uribe and Madeline Stephenson