Aggies enjoy another successful Woody Wilson Classic

The sun wasn’t the only thing shining on Woody Wilson Track on Picnic Day.

After a successful overall performance at the rain-drenched event last year, the Aggies shined once again as hosts to the Woody Wilson Classic that featured 600-plus athletes. UC Davis turned in several standout performances Saturday.

Junior Sirena Williams claimed the 100-meter hurdle event with a time of 13.96, breaking the school record that she set last week.

At the Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner-Kersee Invitational hosted by UCLA last weekend, the Fresno, Calif. native earned a share of the Big West Conference Women’s Track Athlete of the Week award by setting a new school record time of 14.06. Her Saturday performance also broke the Woody Wilson record of 14.00 set by Donica Merriman in 2002.

In addition to the 100-meters, Williams also finished third in the long jump with a wind-aided mark of 5.65 meters (18-06.50).

“She’s getting it,” said women’s coach Deanne Vochatzer. “She’s really starting to come around, so that’s exciting. The whole group is starting to make a pretty good move.”

Apart from Williams, the women’s team collected seven other wins. Sophomore Ugo Eke won two individual events, prevailing in the 100 (12.03) and 200 (24.75). The Gold River, Calif. native also anchored the UC Davis squad in the 4×100 relay in which the Aggies finished with a meet and stadium record of 45.87.

Other UC Davis victories on the women’s side included performances by freshman Kiara Reed (56.58 in the 400), junior Katie Maltester (1:03.81 in the 400 hurdles), freshman Allison Stoakley (career-best 11:14.46 in the steeplechase) and senior Kim Conley, who went 4:27.80 to take the Jill Peckler 1500 invitational.

Meanwhile, the men’s side picked up victories early on in the day-long meet. Junior Ben Johnson went a season-best 1:53.20 in the 800, junior Polly Gnepa took the 110 high hurdles with a 14.11 for his sixth win and freshman Thomas Phillips posted a 53.33 in the 400 hurdles.

“I think the competition was great,” said men’s coach Jon Vochatzer. “We had some great performances and I’m very, very excited about where we are. I saw our team compete very well today.”

Overall, the men’s team won six events, which also included wins by junior Jared Yuen (13.87 meters in the triple jump), junior Matt Swarbrick (52.70 in the discus) and freshman Jonathan Peterson (first-place time of 14:25.50 in the 5,000).

“We’re right where we want to be in terms of going into the championship part of our season,” Vochatzer said. “I think everyone is beginning to step up. I’m looking forward to the next meets coming up.”

UC Davis returns to Woody Wilson Trackon Friday to host Sacramento State in the Causeway Classic Dual, beginning at 3 p.m.

RAY LIN can be reached at sports@californiaaggie.com.