Pistacchio leads Aggies at Big West Championships

Heading into the final round of the Big West Conference Championships Tuesday, the UC Davis men’s golf team was tied with top-ranked UC Irvine at 5-under.

The rest of the season hung on this last round of golf.

And Aggies junior Nate Pistacchio wasn’t ready to go home.

The Fresno native shot a 68in his final round,en route to a third-place individual finish with a final score of5-under-211.Pistacchio would later be named First Team All-Conference for the first time in his collegiate career.

“Nate has always been the hardest worker on the team and he deserves it, head coach Cy Williamssaid.He had a great tournament.

But Pistacchio’s efforts would prove all-for-not,as the Aggies watched the Anteaters pull away in that final round.

“As a team,we just couldn’t get it done,Williams said.This is why you practice all year to get a chance to go on to Regionals and we couldn’t get the job done.We were right there.At the end of the day,we were right there.

UC Irvine grabbed six strokes from the Aggiesand finished with a team tourney score of849,which wasmade possible by a pair of68s fromAnteatersJohn Chin andTim Cha.

Chin wouldlatergo on to earn first place for the Anteaters and receive Conference Player of the Year honors.

“UC Irvine has a great team,and in my opinion,they deserved to win,Williams said.

Also receiving accolades for the Aggieswere junior Ramie Sprinkling and freshman Austin Graham,who both earned secondteamall-conference honors.

Graham played consistently throughout the tourney,carding a pair of one-under-71s and finishing with a par-72– good enough for a sixth-place tie with teammate Greg Button,who also finished with an overall score of214.

“Austin has had an amazing year, Williams said.As a freshman,he has the lowest stroke average at72.7.It’s just amazing.

MATT MILLER can be reached atsports@californiaaggie.com.