Track and field preview

Event:Steve Scott Invitational; Payton Jordan Invitational

Where:Anteater StadiumIrvine,Calif.; Cobb Track and Angell FieldStanford,Calif.

When:Saturday,all day; Sunday,all day

Who to watch:Junior Jah Bennett and sophomore Sirena Williamswere named Big West ConferenceMen’s and Women’sTrack Athletes of the Week,respectively,for their performances atApr.25s Causeway Classic Dual.

Bennett beatSacramentoState in the high jump with a season-best mark of6feet,10.75inches that qualified him for the NCAA Division I West Region Championships at Cal State Northridge later this month.

Williams captured the100hurdles,winning the event in13.80seconds to best her school-record time of13.96seta week earlier.

Did you know? Saturday’s meet is named after one of the greatest mile-runners in American history,Steve Scott.The former Anteater is a six-time All-American and three-time Olympianwho holds several track records,including theU.S.indoor record in the2,000meters.Hehas run136sub-four-minute miles in his career,more than any runner in history.

Preview:After eight daysof rest,the Aggies will return to actionin a two-meet weekend.

On Saturday,UC Davis will send three distance runners to compete inIrvineat the annual Steve Scott Invitational.The meet will feature themen’s andwomen’s5,000races and themen’s andwomen’s3,000steeplechases.

Meanwhile,themajority of the two Aggie track and field teams will stay inNorthern California for Sunday’s Payton Jordan Invitational,hosted by Stanford.

TheCardinalis coming off of a successful showing at the Mt.SAC Relays in Walnut Creek,Calif.Highlighting the event was junior Hari Mix,who garnered Pacific-10MaleTrackAthlete of theWeek for his achievements.

TheCharlottesville,Va.native ran the5,000meters in13:56.28,a2008Pac-10-best that earned him a regional standard.It was the first time in his career of running a sub-14minute time in the5,000meters.Last season,Mix snagged All-American honors in the same event by finishing11th in the NCAA Championships.

Ray Lin