UCD staff and students are invited to ‘Get It Together’

UC Davis staff and students are invited to “Get It Together today from noon to 1 p.m. at the Cabernet Room in the Silo Union. Get It Together author Melanie Cullen will hold the workshop to help people organize important information such as birth certificates, life insurance policies and tax files.

Get It Together is a guide and resource to organizing documents and important information in the event that something would happen to you and you’re unable to communicate to others in your life,said Didar Khalsa, program coordinator for Staff Development & Professional Services.

Young adults and seniors alike will be able to find some value in the workshop either for themselves, a parent or friend, she said.

The event, sponsored by the UC Davis Work Life Program, is part of the Brown Bag Series that takes place throughout the year. Other Brown Bag events include Swing Dance for Beginners and Chair Yoga.

UC Davis Work Life is a collaboration of programs, resources, policies and practices to support the diverse campus community, Khalsa said.

“It enables employees and campus affiliates to meet commitments, to pursue interests both in and outside of the workplace through the integration of four key facets of their lives,she said.

The four key facets are self, work, life’s important others and community, Khalsa said.

The workshop can help serve as an eventual roadmap for loved ones, as it can be a guide toward organizing and updating documents such as a will or trust, according to the UC Davis Work Life website.

For college students who are not yet looking into writing their wills, the workshop can help them become more organized in other areas of their lives. Cullen will also highlight topics such as credit card debts, health care directives and bank accounts.

Students are disorganized and need a lot of help, said Lena Lorenzana, junior biological sciences major.

“We’re at a time when we need to learn organizational skills to make us more competitive in the workforce, she said.

Cullen is a Davis resident currently working in corporate management and holds an MBA from Stanford University. Her book, Get It Together was published in February 2007 and can be purchased for $21.99 at Borders and online.

The Get It Together workshop is open to the UC Davis community and pre-enrollment is not necessary.

For more information, go to sdps.ucdavis.edu.

THUY TRAN can be reached at campus@californiaggie.com.XXX