Letter to the Editor

In preparing next year’s budget, the Executive Office sought to minimize the impact of significant budget cuts to services that ASUCD provides for students, as well as student jobs.

When approaching the task of balancing this year’s budget, the Executive Office increased funding for the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission, the Gender and Sexuality Commission and our philanthropy, Cal Aggie Camp. These resources have a significant impact on the student population and greater community. Additionally, we added funding to the Cross Cultural Center and the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center because their services to students would greatly suffer without increased financial support.

Most of the cuts for next year were made by eliminating the position of the Student Government Adviser. Faced with the decision to cut either student jobs by eliminating the Student Government Administrative Office, or the Student Government Advisor position, the Executive Office decided to protect student jobs.

Next year’s budget prepares ASUCD for the likelihood that our fiscal situation will not improve in the near future. The Executive Office anticipated future cuts to student services in a fiscally responsible manner while not making any cuts that directly affect the majority of the student body.

Ivan Carrillo

ASUCD president