Owen Ashworth of Casiotone for the Painfully Alone likes more instruments than the obvious guess

Editor’s note: MUSE offers a monthly feature to highlight artists in and out of Davis that impact our community. This months “Five Questions is with Owen Ashworth of Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. He will be performing along with Foot Foot tonight at 8 p.m. for $5 in the Old Firehouse, located next to the Music Building on campus. For more information on the band, visit cftpa.org.

1. Your “band name says it all, but what else do you want people to know about CFTPA?

I think the name of my band has become less and less relevant over the years. I have never liked the name, to be honest with you. I think I would be pretty hesitant to try to enjoy a band called Casiotone for the Painfully Alone if I wasnt the dude himself. I hope people are more open-minded than I am and give the songs a chance despite the really dumb name on the record cover.

2. Tell us about one of your favorite musical toys.

I have a Raagini Digital Tanpura that I bought in England a few years ago. Its basically a drone generator that was designed to be a rehearsal aide for sitar and flute players, but I think it sounds really lovely on its own. I liked mine so much that I bought one for my brother for his birthday.

3. Have you considered a career in making ringtones?

No, I dont think I would find that to be a particularly rewarding career. It was fun to make a few for the Laurel Nakadate video project [Stay the Same Never Change], but I definitely prefer making songs that feature words and a broader audio frequency than my little cell phone is capable of broadcasting.

4. Do you agree that other taquerias fail to compare to the ones in Redwood City?

There are some pretty great taquerias in Redwood City. Someone told me that Neil Young eats at La Azteca. I have found some pretty quality taquerias in Chicago as well. You know where they have some really great taquerias? Mexico.

5. Describe your bands sound in three words.

Broke-ass torch songs.

NICOLE BROWNER can be reached at arts@californiaaggie.com.XXX