Firefighters make progress on California fires

Despite massive support from both state and national agencies, fires continue to burn across Northern California. While the majority of the fires that began in June have been extinguished, smoke from remaining fires still pollutes the air.

At a press conference in Humboldt County last weekend, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said he would not allow the budget problems currently facing the state to inhibit the efforts of fire personnel currently in the field.

“When it comes to public safety we don’t even want to look at the budget, because public safety is our number one priority,” he said. “So we will do everything that we can. All of the resources that we have will be poured into those fires.”

Of the 1,781 fires that began on or after June 20, only 323 remain. All information below is provided by Cal Fire, the state fire department. More information can be found online at fire.ca.gov.

Butte lightning complex fire

This fire is 40 percent contained. It has burned 49,000 acres and at least 40 residences since it began June 21 after lightning hit the area. Immediate threat evacuation advisories are in effect for the communities of Paradise, Butte Meadows, Jonesville, Jarbo Gap, Yankee Hill and Big Bend. To date, the fire has caused $35.4 million in damages.

Mendocino lightning complex fire

This fire, which is 60 percent contained, has burned 51,200 acres and two residences since lightning hit the area June 20. Currently, no immediate threat evacuation advisories are in effect, although evacuation warnings remain in effect for several communities in Mendocino County. To date, the fire has caused $25.1 million in damages.

Shasta-Trinity lightning complex fire

This fire is 45 percent contained. It has burned 56,177 acres and three residences since it began June 21 after lightning hit the area. Mandatory evacuations are in place for the communities of Ono and Keswick and communities on Iron Mountain Road and Benton Road. To date, the fire has caused $24.3 million in damages.

Humboldt complex fire

This fire is 85 percent contained. It has burned 1,310 acres since it began in June. More information on this fire was not available at press time.

Piute fire

This fire in Kern County is 28 percent contained. It has burned 33,152 acres and five residences since it on June 28. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. To date, it has caused $13.1 million in damages.

JEREMY OGUL can be reached at city@californiaaggie.com.