News in brief

Those planning on partying in Davis this Labor Day weekend should be careful Davis Police Department officials say they are planning heavy enforcement during Labor Day weekend.

Officers will be out Friday night conducting a DUI checkpoint in the area of Richards Boulevard and Olive Drive. The checkpoint will begin at 9 p.m. and end at 3 a.m.

The checkpoint is part of Yolo County’s Avoid the Eight campaign to encourage motorists to avoid arrest by not drinking and driving. The program, a collaboration of several local law enforcement agencies, is funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety.

Davis Police Chief Landy Black said in a statement earlier this month that his department would intensify enforcement to prevent drunken drivers from harming others.

“We’ll be especially vigilant during high-risk nighttime hours when impaired drivers are most likely to be on our roads,Black said.

Officers working with the program come from local municipal police departments, the UC Davis police department, California Highway Patrol and the Yolo County Sheriff Department.

For more information on the Avoid the Eight program, visit californiaavoid.org. The Davis Police Department can be reached at 747-5400.

Jeremy Ogul