UCD private donations surpass $216 million

UC Davis received nearly $216.8 million in philanthropic donations in 2007-2008, marking a 114 percent jump from the previous year and the first time that donations have exceeded $200 million.

Donors last year ranged from various philanthropic foundations to alumni and faculty of UC Davis to graduating UC Davis students who made a donation as a senior gift. This was the 12th year in a row that private funding for UC Davis increased in comparison to the previous year.

The largest single donation came from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, which gave a grant in support of the new UC Davis nursing school.

“The largest donation overall in 2007-2008 was the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation grant of $100 million,” said Cheryl Lohse, associate vice chancellor for university development. “This is the largest philanthropic contribution ever received by UC Davis.”

The grant will be allocated over an 11-year period and will fund a wide variety of functions such as recruitment of faculty, the purchase of new technology and the creation of scholarships for nursing students, Lohse said.

“The $100 million commitment has allowed the new nursing school to launch at a much more rapid pace, and also ensures a high quality school from its start,” she said.

The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation was created in 2000 and has since implemented a nursing initiative committed to developing a “larger more highly skilled nursing workforce,” according to its website.

“Nurses represent one of the largest health care workforces and are essential for safe and effective patient care,” said Helen Kim, chief program officer for the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation in a statement on the foundation’s website. “We believe the investment in nursing resources, training, education, research and leadership is one of the most effective ways to tackle the problems in our vast health care system.”

Other notable donors in 2007-2008 included Louise Rossi, who gave $12.5 million to support programs in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. UCD alumnus Maurice Gallagher (’71) and his wife Marcia donated $10 million toward the graduate school of management, Lohse said. The Gallagher donation is the largest ever made to UC Davis by an alumnus.

Eighteen donors made gifts of at least $1 million and each of UC Davis’ colleges and professional schools received private funding. In total, 26 percent of the donations were directed toward research while 58 percent was intended for faculty and student support, according to a UCD press release.

“Student support includes scholarships, fellowships and support for student programs,” Lohse said. “Faculty support principally includes endowed chairs and professorships. Philanthropic gifts in these areas help to create a more affordable, meaningful experience for students and give faculty extra funds to further their academic work.”

ERICA LEE can be reached at campus@californiaaggie.com