Intramural sports program offers wide range of activities

If you’re looking for a place to get involved in on campus, meet new people and work on fighting against the Freshman 15, consider the world of intramural sports.

Offered every quarter and during Summer Sessions, IM sports are a perfect fix for sports fanatics or even those that like to play just for fun.

From the traditional pastimes to more unconventional activities, all types of sports are available through IMs. Among the less traditional events includeKickball Palooza,a 24-hour kickball tournament where teams dress up in costumes that in the past have ranged from favorite fast food icons to the cast of theRocky Horror Picture Show.

IM sports are not as intimidating as a lot of people may think, said junior chemical engineering major Corney Polic.

The sports have different levels,Polic said.[Students] should just try one if there is a sport they like or just one theyve always wanted to try.

The different levels include AA for highly skilled teams, A for above average skilled, B for average, and C for beginners. Also offered are open classification for people with any skill level, resident hall teams, and graduate/staff/faculty teams.

Though being a team has been essentially free in the past, maintaining the IM sports program has its costs. Starting this fall, the IM advisory council approved to charge a $30 fee for teams and a $10 fee for individual teams, such as two-person tennis.

We did some research and compared to other schools, this fee is relatively low,said Andy Ramirez, assistant director for IM sports. Ramirez said that this fee policy was tested spring quarter of 2008. Not only were no complaints heard from participants, but there was no decrease in participation.

The capacity of a league with one to two divisions is based on the size and popularity of past seasons. Popular sports like soccer get filled fast, Ramirez said.

Last year, we had games going seven days a week,Ramirez said.Sometimes we played till about 1 a.m. and we had 15 teams on the waiting list.

Handball will be offered as a new sport this fall. Other activities include floor hockey, ultimate frisbee, flag football, volleyball and singles tennis.

Junior sociology major Evan Clark recommends students participate in IM sports to enrich their college experience. Clark has played IM soccer, badminton, inner tube water polo and volleyball since his first year.

My advice to anyone thinking about IM sports is this: Do it, Clark said in an e-mail interview.There is no better way to meet new people or to do something fun with people one already knows.

Students shouldn’t be too worried about IM sports conflicting with busy schedules or schoolwork.

Because all of our sports are scheduled for evening times or Sunday afternoons, it rarely conflicts with school or school work because everyone plays during times when they would only be wasting time and procrastinating on their work anyways,junior biomedical engineering major and IM sports supervisor Ayla Sessions said in an e-mail interview.

Breanna Miller, a junior animal science and management major, manages to balance IM sports even with involvement in the Vet Aides Club and a part-time job.

Sometimes sports can conflict with homework, but it is such a reward for me that I learned how to work around it or how to compromise to get the best out of both playing and doing my homework,Miller said.

Online registration begins Oct. 5 and ends Oct. 7. For more information about IM sports, go to campusrecreation.ucdavis.edu/intramural or e-mail imsports@campusrecreation.ucdavis.edu.

ANGELA RUGGIERO can be reached at features@californiaaggie.com.