Women’s volleyball preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Long Beach State

Records: Aggies, 8-6 (0-1); 49ers, 10-2 (0-0)

Where: The Pavilion

When: Saturday at 7p.m.

Who to watch: Senior libero Avreeta Singh paces the Aggie backcourt, as the team averages 14.88 digs per game. Singh recently moved into fourth place all-time with 1201 career digsonly 62 away from breaking into the top three.

Did you know? The Aggies lead the Big West Conference with 744 digs, placing them 54 digs ahead of runner-up UC Riverside. The stellar defense has held opponents to a .188 hitting percentage, which is good for second in the conference.

Preview: This weekend UC Davis will take the court looking to earn its first Big West victory of the season.

At this point last year, the Aggies were 3-10 (0-2) en route to their 4-24 (1-15) showing a season ago. Despite last season’s woes, this year the team has rebounded to earn a second-place conference standingbehind only Saturday’s foe, the 49ers.

Leading Long Beach State is junior Brittney Herzog, who tops the conference with a .402 hitting percentage, which should test the Aggie defense.

What may also help the Aggies is the fact that the 49ers will be fresh off a matchup with Pacific University tonight. The Aggies, on the other hand, last competed on Wednesdaya 3-1 defeat at the hands of Pacific. The Aggies weren’t able to push themselves over the hump, losing the first two games by the narrow scores of 25-22 and 30-28.

Saturday will serve as a rebound match for the Aggies, as they look to get back on track and try to take down the front running 49ers.

Matt Miller