Campus Judicial Report

2007-2008 Summary

The number of referrals to the Office of Student Judicial Affairs decreased in the 2007-2008 year, but this by no means implies that any less emphasis should be placed upon the issues of academic honesty and social responsibility. SJA handled 618 different academic cases. Sixty-eight different departments referred students for academic misconduct. English, math, psychology, chemistry, and history had the highest number of cases referred.

Two hundred and forty-one students were referred for plagiarism, or reusing work without the instructors permission. Cheating on an exam was the second most common offense. One hundred and seventy-four students were referred for copying off of another student’s exam and 33 were referred for having a cheat sheet or other unauthorized material. Eighteen students were referred for having another person take an exam in their place. Of the 786 referrals for social misconduct, 37 percent of these were for Digital Millennium Copyright Act violations for illegally obtaining or sharing copyrighted material using an on-campus connection.

Most students came to an agreement on a sanction that allowed them to stay in school. Of those who did not, 59 students were suspended or had their graduation delayed, and 13 students were dismissed from the university, primarily for academic violations. Seven percent of students referred to SJA were found not in violation and received no disciplinary sanction.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.