News In Brief

Police search for Davis bank robber

Davis police announced Tuesday afternoon that they were in search of a bank robbery suspect.

At approximately 10:50 a.m. Tuesday, a white male adult entered the US Bank office on F Street and handed a note to a teller demanding money, according to a DPD press release. The teller handed over the money and the suspect fled.

Though the note said the suspect was armed, no gun was actually displayed during the robbery, police said. Witnesses did not see a vehicle present during the robbery.

The suspect is described as 58to 59tall and 260 pounds, with a heavy or overweight build, police said. He had short, medium-brown hair and wore glasses. He was wearing a powder blue, button down, long-sleeve shirt with a matching tie and brown slacks.

The suspect was last seen heading north on foot behind Steve’s Pizza.

Anyone with information regarding the robbery should call the Davis Police Department at (530) 747-5400. Davis police are working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation in investigating this incident, which is the first bank robbery in Davis this year.

Yolo County investments safe, officials say

Though American financial markets are reeling from bank failures and talk of a government bailout, county investments are safe, county officials said in a press release Tuesday.

“For the time being, our strategy is to continue to build liquidity in our portfolios and remain ultra-conservative in our investment activity,said Yolo County auditor-controller Howard Newens in a written statement.

The county’s investment advisor, PFM Asset Management, said the county’s portfolios were diversified, safe and had very high credit quality, according to the press release. The county does not hold securities from Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, AIG, Washington Mutual or Wachovia.

“Investment staff will continue to monitor the market closely and keep the Board of Supervisors apprised of significant turns of events, Newens said.

NEWS IN BRIEF items are compiled by JEREMY OGUL, who can be reached at city@californiaaggie.com.