Men’s soccer preview

Teams: No. 13 UC Davis at Cal State Fullerton

Records: Aggies, 9-1-1 (1-0-1); Titans, 3-8-0 (0-0-1)

Where: Titan StadiumFullerton, Calif.

When: Today at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: On a team with a plethora of offensive stars, it is the experienced defense of UC Davis that is often overlookedbut not by head coach Dwayne Shaffer.

A native of Sonoma, Calif., senior defender Jake Mogelson has started eight games for the Aggies this year, and has made an impact in each of them – especially his last one.

“I thought Jake Mogelson had his best game of his career,Shaffer said following UC Davis2-0 win over Cal Poly on Saturday.

Did you know? There is no doubt that senior forward Sule Anibaba is a menacing character on the soccer field that no one would want to mess with.

You also might want to avoid Anibaba while he is holding a ping-pong paddle, as the Davis High graduate claims to be better at table tennis than soccer.

Anibaba said that in his home nation of Nigeria, soccer and ping-pong were his two favorite sports.

Preview: After an impressive 1-0-1 showing in their first two Big West Conference contests, the Aggies move into the second week of league play.

The first of this week’s road contests pits UC Davis against a struggling Cal State Fullerton team.

The Titans have won only one match in their past six contests, are winless in three home matches this season and are coming off a 1-0 non-conference loss to Houston Baptist.

The Aggies, on the other hand, are heading in the opposite direction, as they have not lost in their past eight matches.

Junior midfielder Paul Marcoux was named the Big West Conference Player of the Week on Monday for scoring UC Davislone goal in its 1-1 tie against No. 18 UC Irvine, as well as assisting the eventual game-winner in the Aggies shutout of Cal Poly.

With the honor, Marcoux becomes the third Aggie of the year to receive this recognition. Seniors Quincy Amarikwa and Dylan Curtis were also recipients of the award earlier this season.

Max Rosenblum