Movie Review:Beverly Hills Chihuahua

Beverly Hills Chihuahua

Directed by Raja Gosnell

Walt Disney Pictures

Rating: 1

When I first went to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua, I was expecting a children’s Snakes on a Plane. This is to say, a movie that was so self-aware of its ridiculousness that it became a parody of the genre – a feat still possible in a PG-rated movie (see: Young Frankenstein). Sadly, this was not the case.

I can honestly say that Chihuahua is one of the most foul, racist and unentertaining films I have seen. Why must the producers teach children that white-furred dogs are voiced by Drew Barrymore, brown-furred dogs are voiced by an array of Hispanic celebrities, and that the dog with the darkest brown fur has a stereotypically black accent? Why can’t the two romantically involved characters, of different races, share one simple kiss instead of awkward hugs? Why does the white lead character assume that the gardener only speaks Spanish, and why must she refer to his dog as a “puppy-o?”

Putting aside these offensive situations, the quality of the movie is still remarkably poor. The basic plot is that Rachel (Piper Perabo) is entrusted with Aunt Viv’s (Jamie Lee Curtis) pet chihuahua. When Rachel comes back drunk from the clubs and discovers the dog is missing, she goes on a hunt across Mexico for it. She meets up with Aunt Viv’s gardener, Sam Cortez (Manolo Cardona), who helps her search for the chihuahua. They find the dog, the dog learns about chihuahua power (they’re tiny, but mighty!), Rachel learns Spanish, then Rachel and Sam decide to go on a date.

There is really not much else to say about this movie. Obviously not targeted toward the college-age crowd, this is something to be avoided at all costs. Don’t take younger siblings to see it (they’ll hate you) and don’t rent it on DVD if the video store doesn’t have anything else (you’ll hate yourself). Avoid this movie like the plague.

– Jon Gold