Women’s tennis preview

Event: SMC Invitational

Host: St. Mary’s

Where: Korth Tennis Complex-Moraga, Calif.

When: Today, Saturday and Sunday; all day

Who to watch: Freshmen Dahra Zamudio and Noelle Eades will both be making their collegiate debuts today for UC Davis.

In high school, Zamudio posted a 117-3 record at Villa Park High while Eades completed her standout prep career at Carondelet High.

The two will first see action this morning in doubles. Zamudio will be paired up with junior Herzyl Legaspi, and Eades will play alongside senior Emma Shapiro.

Did you know? After sending only Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone to its first tournament of the fall, 10 UC Davis players will be in Moraga this weekend for the St. Mary’s Invitational.

Preview: The UC Davis coaching staff will have plenty to watch for this weekend.

The Aggies will debut two freshmen and experiment with doubles partners while having the opportunity to watch 13 other West Coast schools play at the tournament.

“We like to see what new players the other teams have gotten,” head coach Bill Maze said. “But the main thing we like to see is how our players are competing this early in the year.”

The St. Mary’s Invitational, the team’s second-to-last tournament of the fall, will feature both singles and doubles play. In doubles, along with the aforementioned pairings, Schuler and Stone, Sidney Brady and Shawdee Rouhafza, and Jessica Harris and Jenna Kappel will round out UC Davis’ five teams.

Pacific will be the only other Big West Conference team at the event.

Michael Gehlken