Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Campus Unions to host Super Smash Bros tournament

Students are invited to Brawl – virtually, with their favorite Nintendo characters – from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesday in Griffin Lounge at the Memorial Union.

Last year’s tournament brought 68 brawlers to test their mettle against their peers, and Campus Unions expects even more for this year’s edition.

They better bring their A game,said Kyle Hudson, student assistant for Campus Unions.It’s everyone’s favorite game and is sure to be a night to remember.

Due to the anticipated high turnout, participants are given the opportunity to pre-register for $4 at the Campus Unions table outside Griffin Lounge from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Students are welcome to join all the way up to the start of the action, but beyond 5 p.m. will have to pay the full price of $8.

Junior civil engineering major Emile Morales said while he’s a little rusty from school starting, he’ll be ready to go with his go-to Brawl character Ike.

“I’ve seen the competition and I’m going to need a lot of firepower, I might need to bootcamp for a little preparation,he said.

Student program coordinator Fariba Dorosti explained the format.

“People will be bracketed randomly as they sign up – basically first-come, first-served, and then we’ll assemble schedules to play in the first round,she said.

The tournament will be single elimination, one vs. one, without a time limit. After the first round, players will be shuffled and re-bracketed based on their record. There will be two lives in all rounds until the finals, where the last brawlers standing will duel with three.

A neat new feature for this year’s edition is a controller option that figures to even the playing field, Dorosti said.

“People can use a Gamecube controller or a Wii-mote – but if they want to play with a Gamecube controller they [had] better bring their own,Dorosti said.

The tournament champion will receive a Blockbuster gift card, while second and third prizes are gift certificates to the Silo Union.

More information can be found at the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament event on Facebook.

MIKE DORSEY can be reached at campus@californiaaggie.com.