NEWS IN BRIEF

Last day to register is Oct. 20

Californians who intend to vote in the Nov. 4 election must be registered to vote by Oct. 20. Voter registration forms must be received at your county’s registrar of voters or postmarked by Oct. 20.

If your address has changed since the last election, or if you have changed your name, you must re-register to vote. U.S. citizens who turn 18 by Nov. 4 are eligible to vote in this election.

Registration forms are located at the Davis Post Office at 2020 Fifth St., the Department of Motor Vehicles at 505 Pole Line Road, the Davis Public Library at 315 East 14th St. and the Davis City Clerk’s Office at 23 Russell Blvd. Registration forms are also available from several campus student groups.

If you are uncertain if you are registered, call the county registrar for the county you think you are registered in. Voter registration for Yolo County can be checked online at yoloelections.org/regdb. The Yolo Elections office can also be reached at 666-8133 or (800) 649-9943.

For more information on voter registration or the voting process, visit ss.ca.gov/elections or yoloelections.org.

Dispose of household hazardous waste

The Yolo County Central Landfill will hold two drop-off days for household hazardous waste items this week for Yolo County residents. The landfill will be open for drop-off on Oct. 17 and 18 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The landfill will accept the following items: batteries, fluorescent bulbs or tubes, used motor oil and filters, cleaning supplies, lighter fluid, antifreeze, aerosols, garden pesticides and herbicides, latex or oil based paints, solvents, poisons, electrical switches and relays, pilot light sensors and mercury thermostats. Small electronics like televisions and monitors are also accepted for recycling at no cost, though there is a handling fee for recycling appliances.

Household hazardous waste drop-off days are sponsored by the Yolo County Department of Planning and Public Works. The next drop-off days are Nov. 14 and 15.

County presents proposed General Plan

Yolo County is currently working on updating its General Plan, the policy document that guides development in the county’s undeveloped areas. The General Plan has only been comprehensively updated two other times in the county’s history.

The draft General Plan was released on Sept. 10 and is available for viewing online at yolocountygeneralplan.org. It can also be viewed at county library branches and the county offices in Woodland.

The county is urging residents to review the proposed General Plan update and submit comments before the Board of Supervisors votes next year. County staff will outline the update at the following presentations and events:

Oct. 16 at 4:30 p.m.

Transportation Advisory Committee workshop

Yolo County Planning & Public Works Department

292 West Beamer St., Woodland

Oct. 27 at 7 p.m.

Airport-West Plainfield Community Advisory Committee

Lilliard Hall, Yolo County Airport

24905 County Road 95, Davis

Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

County Planning Commission Workshop

Board of Supervisors Chambers

625 Court St., Room 206, Woodland