Centennial Walkway officially opens

Oct. 15, 2008 will forever be marked on UC Davis’ campus as the dedication day for the new Centennial Walkway, the path that runs straight through the Quad.

The new concrete and granite-edged walkway was officially opened Wednesday during the “Day on the Quad” activities at noon with a ribbon cutting ceremony.

Robert Segar, assistant vice chancellor and Campus Planning and Centennial director made opening remarks about how much the university has changed in the last 100 years.

“It is my hope that in the next 100 years the students at UC Davis will have just a little touch of ceremony and a little sense of pride when they come up through the Quad all these years from here on,” Segar said.

Chancellor Larry Vanderhoef made short remarks before the ribbon cutting began.

“The Quad is very special for me, and there are times when I really need to go someplace to relax,” Vanderhoef said. “There are only two places that can do that job well for me. One of those places is Hawaii, and the other is the Quad. The Quad is a lot closer and more convenient and there are more friendly people.”

The 10 ribbon cutters, each representing a decade of the centennial, included Vanderhoef, senior landscape architect for the project and UCD alumni Skip Mezger, ASUCD President Ivan Carillo, ASUCD Vice President Molly Fluet and student band director Bobby Egan.

The California Aggie Marching Band-uh! performed before and after the ceremony.

The 450-foot walkway cost $350,000 and has a dedication on both ends that reads “Centennial Walk, dedicated October 15, 2008.” The original path goes back to 1915, though concrete wasn’t added until the 1930s. Today it serves as a direct path from the Memorial Union to Shields Library as well as a casual hang out place for students and others to relax.

Megan Baer, a junior international relations and English double major, said she is happy with the new path.

“It doesn’t look super different, but it does look cool,” she said. “I can pass people now when I walk through because it looks wider.”

Also during Day on the Quad was the Activities Faire, which included performances, free giveaways and information from campus organizations. Vivian Lee, a second year graduate student in forensic science was there to participate with the Students for Creative Anachronism (SCA) society that was performing medieval demonstrations.

“We’re different from the typical Renaissance fairs,” Lee said. “It’s all about participating, learning how to fight, cook, do medieval arts and crafts and even archery.”

SCA is a worldwide organization that meets at Central Park every Thursday evening to practice medieval fighting – with bamboo swords and real armor. They also participate in yearly tournaments and make their own costumes. For more information go to sca.org.

ANGELA RUGGIERO can be reached at campus@californiaaggie.com