NEWS IN BRIEF

Twelve people were arrested Wednesday in a sting operation to put unlicensed and uninsured employers out of business, according to a District Attorney’s Office press release. Seven were fined civil assessments totaling $9,500 for not having workerscompensation insurance or for paying their employees under the table.

The operation is aimed at contractors who are not complying with labor and contracting laws. Wednesday’s arrests were part of a broader operation that has resulted in 112 people who have been cited, arrested or fined for operating without a license, not providing workerscompensation insurance and paying employees under the table, authorities said.

District Attorney Jeff Reisig tied the operation to the current economic climate.

“During these trying economic times, it is even more important to ensure that the businesses you allow in your home are legitimate and insured,Reisig said in the press release.

The operation is a collaboration of several law enforcement and administrative agencies, including the DA, the Contractor’s State Licensing Board, the Woodland Police Department, the Department of Insurance, the Employment Development Department, and the Department of Industrial Relations.

Woodland men sentenced for gang stabbing

Three Woodland residents pleaded guilty Friday to charges related to the gang stabbing and beating of a Woodland boy in September, according to a press release from the District Attorney’s Office.

The 13-year-old victim was attacked, beaten and stabbed in the side, leaving him hospitalized for several days, the release said.

Aldo Arellano, 15, and Randy Marquez, 20, pleaded guilty to felony assault charges. The two also admitted to committing the crime for the benefit of the Norteno street gang. Arrellano, prosecuted as an adult, will be sentenced to four years in prison. Marquez will be sentenced to six years in prison.

Getaway driver Milton Escobedo, 18, pleaded guilty to being an accessory after the fact, a felony charge.

The three will be sentenced on Nov. 14 in Department 3 of the Yolo County Superior Court.

Domestic violence prevention awards to be given

The Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Center will host a social gathering and awards ceremony Saturday as part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Four honorees will receive thePeace Begins at Homeaward for their advocacy and work on behalf of victims of domestic violence in West Sacramento and Yolo County, according to a press release.

They include Sergeant Mark Tingley and CSI Herbert Yip of the West Sacramento Police Department, detective Robin Gonzalez of the Yolo County Sherriff’s Department and West Sacramento citizen Sister Cora Salazar.

The gathering will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. at West Sacramento City Hall. Tickets are $30 each and can be purchased at the Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Center in Woodland or at the West Sacramento Police Department.

NEWS IN BRIEF is compiled by JEREMY OGUL who can be reached at city@californiaaggie.com.