ASUCD Fall Kickoff event free for students

ASUCD and the Entertainment Council are jumpstarting fall quarter with a free informational and entertainment event today at 5 p.m. in Freeborn Hall.

Fall Kickoff will feature live performances for the first 1,000 students at Freeborn Hall by The Matches, Zion I, San Quinn, Random Abiladeze, Mobility and the Lounge Lizards as well as tabling information by ASUCD units.

The event, one of ASUCD Senator Lula Ahmed-Falol’s platform issues, is the first of its kind. Fall Kickoff aims to address two issues students have been vocal about: the lack of on-campus entertainment and outreach from ASUCD, Ahmed-Falol said.

“I think most of the time, when people think of ASUCD, the only part that comes to mind is elections, Ahmed-Falol said in an e-mail interview. “ASUCD is so much more than the elected positions.

Ahmed-Falol hopes this event will give students the chance to become more involved with student government while at the same time enjoying themselves.

“This event strives to bring out all the parts of ASUCD and make them easily accessible to students through the tabling,she said.You can talk to whoever you need to if you are interested in getting involved or get an internship or a job all while eating some free food and watching a great concert.

Entertainment Council director Jasmine Lau said she is excited to be a part of this event.

“I’m hoping to get a big crowd so that ASUCD can get more exposure. I know a lot of people don’t know a lot about ASUCD and the commissions and at the same time they can enjoy a wide range of performances,said Lau, a senior Bio Technology major.

The Entertainment Council brings concerts to the student body such as last year’s Death Cab for Cutie, Tegan and Sara, and this November’s sold-out Jason Mraz performances. They also have movie events, dance parties and Memorial Union games and activities.

Lau hopes that such an event like Fall Kickoff will become an annual tradition.

“I think it’s a great chance for students to get to know more, specifically about ASUCD – and get more involved on campus than just fraternities and sororities,she said.

ASUCD commissions will be present to table at the event, including the Gender and Sexuality Commission (GASC) and the Internal Affairs Commission.

“I really enjoy tabling,said Amy Hartsein, commission chair for IAC.I think the concerts are great for UC Davis because our entertainment is not as great as some of the other UCs.

Laura Brown, commission chair for GASC, said she is excited to be involved with this event.

“I think students at Davis are somewhat disconnected with the campus,she said.I think it’s exciting that ASUCD is sponsoring something that students can get more involved with student government.

Brown will be handing out pamphlets and condoms at the event for GASCwhich promotes awareness in sexual health, assault, campus safety and sexual identity.

Fall Kickoff will let in the first 1,000 students and begins at 5 p.m. and goes until 10 p.m. at Freeborn Hall.

ANGELA RUGGIERO can be reached at campus@californiaaggie.com.