Campus Judicial Report

Cell phone use during an exam

A professor referred a junior to Student Judicial Affairs for using a cell phone during an exam. The professor noticed the student looking at her cell phone and pushing buttons. The student claimed she was checking the time, but using a cell phone during an exam for any reason is a violation of the Code of Academic Conduct. Because this was the student’s first offense, she was offered Disciplinary Probation until fall quarter 2009, to which she agreed.

The Probation means that a second violation would likely result in a suspension or dismissal. Using a cell phone during a test is disruptive for other students and creates the appearance of dishonest conduct, which undermines student trust that the testing process is fair and makes it hard for instructors to determine who is cheating.

Returning university property

A student was referred to Student Judicial Affairs for failing to return university property. The student borrowed a voice recorder for one of his classes but failed to return it at the end of the quarter. Despite the numerous e-mails and phone calls to the student by IET-Academic Technology Services, the recorder was not returned until a year later.

This put other students at a disadvantage and is therefore a violation of the Code of Academic Conduct. The student agreed to a censure, which is a written reprimand for a specific violation. It also serves as a warning that more serious disciplinary action would be taken in the future if the student were again found in violation of the specified university policies or campus regulations.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.