Rocking the Coffee House

When considering on-campus music venues, UC Davis students might think of the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts or perhaps Freeborn Hall. Few would venture to consider the ASUCD Coffee House among these places, but that’s exactly the thought Campus Unions intends to encourage.

Coho Live is an on-campus opportunity for students to perform music in a casual, noncompetitive environment. Musicians play every Tuesday from 5 to 7 p.m. on a small stage in the Coho II. The weekly show began on Oct. 7 and will continue until Dec. 2.

The show usually hosts acoustic performances, but all kinds of acts are encouraged to perform. Everyone is welcome to enjoy the informal environment and the mellow performances while dining or studying at the Coho.

“It’s fun to perform on a smaller scale where people are sitting right in front of you and you can kind of interact with them more,said senior food science and technology major David Ronconi, who has played at Coho Live several times before.

He said that an event like Coho Live introduces different artists who typically would not perform together under normal circumstances.

The Coho Live Talent Searchan offshoot of Coho Liveheld its final round of competition on Oct. 14.

From a pool of student musicians, judges chose senior electrical engineering major Chris Cruz to headline the Coho’s 40th Anniversary celebration.

“I hate it when the word competition is associated with music,Cruz said.Music is something you share.

The finals weren’t his first time performing in public: He has played at Coho Live before, but has also performed for community events like Kappa Alpha Theta’s recent philanthropic fundraiser. Cruz said that he also enjoys playing at home for friends.

“If you were to go to my iTunes library, you would see everything ranging from Kelly Clarkson to the Eagles to Metallica,he said, revealing a little about his musical inspiration.

Ronconi was also a participant in the Coho Live Talent Search, and admired the opportunity for collaboration between such diverse musicians.

“Last week I got there 45 minutes early before my set, so I just grabbed some of the other performers and went outside and had a jam session for a little bit,he said.

“Everyone who participated was amazingthey all had their own unique talent,said Coho special events intern Landholt, a junior communication major and one of the judges of the competition.

Cruz will perform at the Coho’s 40th Anniversary celebration today at 3 p.m.

To sign up for Coho Live, student musicians can contact Molly Bechtel at mmbechtel@ucdavis.edu or Allison Pham at alynguyen@ucdavis.edu. For more information, visit campusunions.ucdavis.edu.

LAURA KROEGER can be reached at arts@californiaaggie.com.