Men’s soccer preview

Teams: No. 8 UC Davis vs. No. 20 UC Irvine

Records: Aggies, 12-2-2 (4-1-2); Anteaters, 8-1-5 (1-1-3)

Where: Aggie Soccer Stadium

When: Saturday at 1 p.m.

Who to watch: Senior Jordan Vanderpoorten has been a key component to a bulletproof defense this season up until some recent struggles.

The La Verne, Calif. native has started 15 of the Aggies16 matches this season and has one assist.

Did you know? With two goals Wednesday against Cal State Northridge, senior forward Quincy Amarikwa upped his goal total for the season to 15, moving him into a first-place tie in the nation in that category.

This seems impressive, but it is even more astonishing considering that head coach Dwayne Shaffer calls Amarikwa the most fouled player in America.

Preview: The Aggies bounced back from Saturday’s disappointing loss to UC Riverside in dramatic fashion Wednesday against Cal State Northridge.

The Matadors jumped out with the first goal five minutes into the match, but Amarikwa quickly answered with a score six minutes later to even the game.

In the 17th minute, Cal State Northridge defender Jeremy Hohn was ejected after he threw Amarikwa to the ground.

The Aggies were not able to capitalize immediately as the Matadors scored a shorthanded goal in the 24th minute.

After playing behind late for the third straight match, senior midfielder Dylan Curtis converted from 15 yards out in the 81st minute to even the score.

Five minutes later, Amarikwa headed in an Ian Conklin pass to stun the Matadors, prevent the upset and secure the 3-2 win.

The Aggies will finish up their week at home on Saturday against UC Irvine. The teams tied 1-1 when they met in Irvine on Oct. 1.

The Anteaters are led offensively by senior midfielder Matt Murphy who has seven goals and four assists on the season.

Max Rosenblum