Women’s volleyball preview

Teams: UC Davis at Long Beach State

Records: Aggies, 10-11 (2-6); 49ers, 15-4 (5-2)

Where: Walter PyramidLong Beach

When: Today at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: UC Davis junior libero Arveeta Singh has single handedly provided a bulk of the Aggies defensive effort this season.

“In terms of our serve-receive line, I think Avreeta [Singh] in particular is so ready to take a big area of the court,head coach Jaime Holmes said.

Singh currently leads the Big West Conference with her total of 308 digs (3.85 per game) this season.

Did you know? Long Beach State presents a tough test for UC Davis on paper. The 49ers pace the conference in team hitting percentage (.251), opponent hitting percentage (.150), kills (1011), assists (936), blocks (173.5) and digs (1182).

Preview: After earning its first two conference victories of the season, UC Davis knows it can pick up a third tonight if it finishes what it started.

When the two teams matched up earlier this season for UC Davishome opener, the Aggies rallied to a 2-0 start in front of 2,012 fans. The final three games went to Long Beach State by 10-, 11- and 12-point margins.

Last match, 49ers libero Iris Murray tied her career high with 29 digs while outside hitter Naomi Washington led the offensive attack, recording 16 kills on a .542 attack percentage – one of four 49ers in double-digit kills.

On the other side of the net, the Aggies found their groove in senior outside hitter offensively. Renee Ibekwe fired off 20 kills with 22 digs and sophomore middle blocker Julie King chipped in with 11 kills with seven blocks.

Tonight’s match will be the first of two for the 49ers this weekend as they face third-place Pacific.

For the first time this year, UC Davis has only one opponent this weekend and will be introduced during Saturday’s football game against North Dakota.

Matt Miller