ASUCD Senate Elections Begin Today

Beginning today and until Friday at 10 a.m., students can vote online at elections.ucdavis.edu to select their top six senate candidate choices.

ASUCD senate elections take place every fall and winter quarter, and six new senators are elected bi-annually to serve a one-year term in office. During their term, the 12 senators in total are responsible for managing ASUCD’s $10.7 million operational budget, are expected to advocate for student rights and develop programs and events that would potentially increase the overall quality of life at UC Davis.

What most students don’t realize is that from the $10.7 million budget, $105 of their own money is taken out in student fees each year and given to ASUCD.

“It’s [the students‘] money that we use to operate this system, and senators are directly in charge of it,said Molly Fluet, ASUCD vice president.If you vote for a senator that’s apathetic, during the budget process you won’t have a fair and competitive budget. If you’re a student, this really affects you.

In this election, nine candidates are running for a total of six open spots on the senate. Six of the nine candidates, including Mo Torres, Erin Lebe, Jack Zwald, Joeman Clemente, Danny Garrett and Laura Pulido are running with the LEAD platform. The remaining threeJustin Patrizio, Greg Webb and Gianni Rosas-Maxeminare running on independent slates.

“If you’re an undergrad who pays fees, then you are considered in ASUCD,said Adam Thongsavat, ASUCD election committee chair.Since senators are the voice of the ASUCD, it’s important [for students] to vote because it makes a huge difference in what happens on campus.

The online polls are open from today until Friday at 10 a.m. and winners will be announced on Friday afternoon in the Quad.

MICHELLE IMMEL can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.