Men’s water polo preview

Teams: No. 11 UC Davis at No. 16 Santa Clara

Records: Aggies, 10-14 (7-4); Broncos 14-11 (6-4)

When: Saturday at noon

Where: Sullivan Aquatic Center – Santa Clara, Calif.

Who to watch: The UC Davis leader in minutes this season, senior Danny Driscoll has been head coach Steve Doten’s go-to guy on defense for the past four years.

Driscoll has logged 447 minutes this season. He’s the only one of the seven seniors who played as a true freshman.

Did you know? The Broncos are on a five-game losing skid. They’ll look to break that streak in the opening game of their new, multi-million dollar Sullivan Aquatic Center.

Preview: Coming off a crippling loss to UC San Diego, the Aggies need to win this weekend to notch the third seed in the Western Water Polo Association Tournament later this month.

The Broncos-Aggies match up this season has been quite the horse race, and the last game of the regular season series shouldn’t be any different.

The squads have split their two games this season, with UC Davis winning the latest contest at home, 12-7.

If the Aggies fail to get past the Broncos, they will receive the fourth seed in the conference tournament. In this case, if the Aggies advance past the first round, No. 6 Loyola Marymount would be waiting in the semifinals.

“I’m glad this game is on the road,” Doten said. “I was happy to have all these home games, but to get on the road and play in someone else’s pool will be good to get us ready for conference. It’s a big game that could affect the seeding at conference.”

Sammy Brasch