News in Brief

Gang members convicted in attack

Four West Sacramento gang members are facing sentences of up to 15 years after being found guilty of a number of crimes Thursday.

The men were convicted of crimes related to an incident in April 2006 when they attacked the engineer and conductor of an Amtrak Capitol Corridor train.

Austen Nunes, 19, Paliton Nunes, 20, and Orlando Ramos, 16, were convicted of 11 felony charges, including attempted manslaughter, assault with deadly weapons on train employees, great bodily injury, throwing an object at a train, vandalism and belonging to a street gang. Daniel Bonge, 19, was convicted of 10 felony charges.

All four men are members of the Broderick Boys criminal street gang in West Sacramento, according to a press release from the District Attorney’s office.

Prosecutors presented evidence during the trial showing that the defendants got drunk and stopped a train on the railroad tracks in West Sacramento, whereupon they attacked train employees by hitting them on the head with rocks and liquor bottles.

Smash and grabburglaries increase

The Yolo County District Attorney’s Office is warning local citizens to be cautious with what they leave in their car. According to a news release, there has beenan alarming increasein the number of theft cases where car windows are smashed and valuables left on the seat and center console are stolen.

“In one case a man parked his car at the gym at 5 a.m.,said District Attorney Jeff Reisig in the press release.He returned to his car at 6 a.m. only to find shards of glass on the ground and in his car. The passenger side window had been smashed and his wallet and cell phone were gone.

The DA’s office is also reminding the public that lost and stolen wallets, checkbooks, credit cards and Social Security cards are some of the primary ways criminals commit identity theft and fraud.

Man sentenced for sex crimes

An 18-year-old Woodland resident was sentenced to 18 years to life in prison on Oct. 26 for sex crimes that occurred in Woodland.

Timothy Thompson, 18, was convicted of five felonies, including forcible rape, forcible oral copulation and attempted digital penetration, according to a press release from the DA’s office. The jury found that the sex crimes were committed during the course of a kidnapping of a woman he dragged from her apartment.

“I am disappointed that the judge did not sentence Mr. Thompson to the maximum allowed by law, but am pleased that the defendant will be off the streets of Yolo County for a significant period of time,said Deputy DA Carolyn Palumbo in a written statement.

NEWS IN BRIEF is compiled by JEREMY OGUL, who can be reached at city@theaggie.org.