Campus news in brief

UC Board of Regents to meet in San Francisco

UC San Franciscos Mission Bay campus will host the UC Regents three-day set of meetings beginning today. The regents will meet in closed session to receive updates on the universitys legal issues followed by an open session meeting to consider budget, environmental and design approvals.

Wednesday the board will hear public comment and then receive an update to the staff diversity report. The finance committee will then meet to discuss the 2009-2010 operational and capital budgets as well as the UC Retirement Plan.

Thursday will conclude with additional public comment, an open session meeting of the long range planning committee to discuss UC research opportunities and a joint session of the finance and grounds committees to discuss a new capital funding strategy.

Discussion of the long-anticipated proposal to change the freshman admissions requirements is not on the agenda, but could be discussed or voted on at the regents January meeting.

To speak during a public comment period, sign up before the meeting or call the secretary and chief of staff at (510) 987-9220.

Governor to host global climate summit

Today and Wednesday, interested students can tune into University of California TV online to watch Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger host a conference of U.S. governors and international climate experts.

The leaders will meet in Los Angeles to discuss finding tangible, sustainable and cooperative solutions to global climate change. Topics will include tactics to reduce greenhouse gases, alternative transportation and mobility as well as forestry and agriculture. A live stream of the conference is available at uctv.tv/climate.

UC Davis researchers pinpoint cause of Dalmatian bladder stones

A genetic mutation that results in high levels of uric acid in all Dalmatians, often leading to bladder stones, has been identified by UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine researchers.

Scientists have known since the early 1900s that all Dalmatians have an unusually high level of uric acid. This finding will allow dog breeders to remove the trait through selective breeding with the pointer breed.

The discovery could lead to clues about the cause of similar problems in humans. It is known that humans carry the same gene, but scientists have not determined the exact mechanism that causes humans and great apes to have higher than normal uric acid levels.