Women’s basketball preview

Teams: UC Davis at Denver

Records: Aggies, 1-0; Pioneers, 0-1

Where: Hamilton Gymnasium – Denver, Colo.

When: Today at 6 p.m.

Who to watch: If the Aggies are to have a presence in the low post this season, they will need the assistance of freshman Lisa Peterson.

In the Aggies’ first game of the season, the 6-foot-2 Citrus Heights, Calif. native scored a game-high 14 points and collected six rebounds in a 64-44 victory over Southern Utah.

Did you know? UC Davis will be one of just two Denver opponents this season to play at the Pioneers’ alternate basketball facility, Hamilton Gym. Denver plays the rest of its home games at Magness Arena, which is located right next door.

Preview: UC Davis opened the 2008-2009 season with a successful showing against Southern Utah last Friday, as three Aggies scored in double figures en route to a win.

The victory was fueled by impressive defensive play that held the Thunderbirds to 13 first half points and 28 percent shooting for the game.

The defense was sparked by senior Haylee Donaghe, who recorded a career-high nine steals. The Aggies had 18 takeaways as a team.

A 9-2 run at the beginning of the second half helped secure the victory for a UC Davis team that is looking to build on its bid to the Women’s National Invitation Tournament last season.

“This was a good test for our team on the road in a hostile venue,” head coach Sandy Simpson said.

Denver’s first game didn’t prove as much of a success as UC Davis’ did.

The Pioneers fell to Wyoming 61-54 in their home opener.

Junior forward Ashly Robinson led her team with 13 points and six rebounds but coughed up six turnovers.

Max Rosenblum