Campus Judicial Report

Serial shoplifting

The UC Davis Bookstore referred an underclassman to Student Judicial Affairs for stealing. When confronted, the student admitted that he shoplifts when under stress. Because he has a history of theft from the Bookstore, the student agreed to Deferred Separation until graduation and counseling. Deferred Separation means that if the student were to get caught shoplifting again, he would probably be suspended or dismissed from the university and would not have a right to take the matter to a formal hearing. In addition, the student paid over $400 in fines for stealing over 20 items.

Graduate mudslinging

A graduate student in education was referred to Student Judicial Affairs for providing false information on an assignment. As part of teacher training, the student was assigned to evaluate a teaching assistant’s class. The student did not attend the class and wrote a false evaluation that defamed the teaching assistant. The student agreed to Deferred Separation until graduation.

Playing doctor

A professor referred a student to SJA for providing false information and forged documents for academic reasons. The student forged e-mails and doctor notes to get additional time on her assignments. Because of the personal circumstances of the student’s situation, she agreed to stress management counseling, academic advising, time management skill training and Deferred Separation until graduation. The student also agreed to complete a writing assignment after completing the counseling, advising and training.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.