Try Before You Buy Week comes to the ARC

The New Year is here again and the Activities and Recreation Center is encouraging students to stick to their exercise resolutions with free access to all facilities during Try Before You Buy week.

Try Before You Buy, which occurs at the beginning of every quarter, runs from Jan. 2-11. During this time, all students, faculty, staff, alumni and student affiliates are granted free access to all resources in the ARC. For students who already have memberships, this means an opportunity to attend group fitness and instructional classes before purchasing passes.

“Try Before You Buy lets UCD students experience the wide variety of fun, challenging, kick-butt group exercise classes the ARC has to offer,said Leslie Vest, a recent UC Davis graduate and group fitness instructor.There is something for everyone, including cycling, toning, step, kickboxing, yoga and Pilates…the ARC has it all.

In addition, students can also check out a variety of dance classes in anything ranging from ballet to belly dancing, as well as judo and Hapkido martial arts.

Regular attendees of the ARC classes say the fun environment and camaraderie of group exercise keeps them more motivated than working out individually.

“I like the group exercise classes because you can work out with other people,said Lindsay Hoffman, a senior genetics major.Also, I am never as creative when I work out on my own…the classes keep you interested.

Other members say they like having the presence of an instructor who pushes them.

“Group exercise is almost like having a personal trainer because you have [an instructor] watching you and giving you tips,said UC Davis staff member Sharon Boylan, who has been attending classes for two years.Working out on the machines can get boring really fast but the classes keep me motivated.

For many students who already make exercise a part of their routine, Try Before You Buy gives them the opportunity to change things up and try something new.

“I have used the ARC and taken yoga classes here since I was a freshman,Hoffman said,This quarter, I plan to try out kickboxing, which is something totally different for me.

For those who are newer to group exercise, following a few simple tips will make the process much smoother, Vest said.

“Try Before You Buy is the busiest time of the year for group exercise, so make sure you come early to grab a spot,she said.Classes do fill up, so be at least 10-15 minutes early. Also make sure to bring a towel, water and a comfortable pair of sneakers.

Students can check out the winter fitness classes in the ARC recreation guide. Group exercise passes can be purchased at the Fitness and Wellness Center and are $45 for the quarter. Passes can also be purchased on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.

ERICA LEE can be reached at campus@theaggie.org