Starting the year off right

Entertainment Council

The Entertainment Council has a number of events planned for the quarter. The first music event of the year will bring pop-punk bands Limbeck and Push Push Pull to the ASUCD Coffee House next Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. Other events such as Singles Awareness Night and the Coexist Comedy Tour are planned for February. The EC is also sponsoring the annual International Film Week in March, and is presenting a screening of Choke next Monday at 8 p.m. in 123 Science Lecture Hall.

“Hopefully there’s going to be morethere might be some more movie events for sure and maybe one more Coho show,said EC director Thongxy Phansopha, a junior Spanish major.

For more information, visit the EC’s website or Facebook group.

Mondavi Center

If you haven’t checked out the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts2008-2009 season yet, now’s your chance to buy tickets before the winter quarter lineup begins. The Mondavi Center has a lot to offer this year with names like Willie Nelson, K.D. Lang as well as other notables like composer Philip Glass and violinist Itzhak Perlman.

Even so, music isn’t all the center has to offer. In conjunction with the UC Davis film studies department, the Mondavi Center is presenting a series of films and discussions throughout the year as part of the Focus on Film series. After a Shakespearean Fall Quarter, the series examines the thematic foundations of Alfred Hitchcock’s three filmsSpellbound, North by Northwest and Strangers on a Train. The screenings will focus on Hitchcock’s portrayal of the common hero in the three films, followed by an open and informal discussion about each of the themes.

The idea is to show classic films with a theme each quarter, and have discussions around these films and what those themes are,said Camille Spaccavento, director of marketing for the center.It’s away to bring an art house feel but give it a little twist specifically for us.

LAYOUTEvent box:

North by Northwest

Jan. 26, 6:30 p.m.

Strangers on a Train

Feb. 23, 6:30 p.m.

Both screenings are $10 general admission and $5 with a student ID and take place at the Studio Theater.

Art Lounge

The Memorial Union Art Lounge is currently showcasingSecret Confessions: Post Your Past,a montage of anonymous confessions written by the UC Davis community.

Throughout February, the Art Lounge will be showcasing a photo biography of President-elect Barack Obama in honor of Black History Month starting Feb. 1 and continuing throughout the month.

The exhibit will feature a collection of photographs of Obama’s youth and ascendance to the presidency. Other media will include newspaper clippings, photos and multi-media images.

“We hope the exhibition not only celebrates his past but looks to the future with an optimistic perspective,said senior art history major Nicoletta Rousseva, student manager at the Art Lounge.

UC Davis Bookstore

The UCD Bookstore is sponsoring a number of author presentations, most of which are UC Davis professors and faculty. Their books span a variety of topics, ranging from new teaching strategies in Robert Blake’s Brave New Digital Classroom to fear and conspiracy in Kathryn Olmsted’s Real Enemies.

“Most of our faculty are quite humble and discreet when it comes to letting the campus know about their work outside of the classroom,said Paul Takushi, tradebook buyer at the bookstore, in an e-mail.I want to expose this work to the campus in an effort to say,Hey, we have some world-class academics at this campus and the university and the general public should acknowledge that and celebrate it.‘”

Each event is open to the general public, and students and faculty alike are encouraged to attend.

LAYOUT: Event Box

Kathryn Olmsted, Real Enemies

Jan. 21 at noon, The Bookstore Lounge

Robert Blake, Brave New Digital Classroom

Jan. 28 at noon, Memorial Union Art Lounge

Colin Milburn, Nanovision

Jan. 30 at noon, MU Art Lounge

Patricia Turner, Crafted Lives

Feb. 9 at 5 p.m., The Gunrock Pub

Yin Yun Li, The Vagrants

Mar. 6 at noon, The Bookstore Lounge

JUSTIN T. HO can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.