Women’s basketball preview

Teams: UC Davis at Long Beach State

Records: Aggies, 5-7 (1-0); 49ers, 3-10 (0-2)

Where: Walter PyramidLong Beach, Calif.

When: Saturday at 5 p.m.

Who to watch: On a team plagued with injuries to veteran players, the Aggies will need the services of seasoned point guard Genevieve Costello if they plan to be near the top of the conference by season’s end.

A Spring Valley, Calif. native, Costello is 18-for-43 (41.9 percent) from beyond the arc and has dished out 24 assists. She was the only Aggie to score in double figures in an 84-49 loss at No. 8 Stanford on Dec. 28, dropping five three-point field goals to finish with 15 points.

Did you know? Since UC Davis started playing a Big West Conference schedule during the 2004-2005 season, the Aggies have matched up with the 49ers eight times with each team taking four of those contests.

UC Davis won both matchups between the squads last yearone game by two points and the other by three points.

Preview: After playing its first conference road game of the season yesterday, UC Davis continues Big West play away from home when they face Long Beach State at Walter Pyramid.

The 49ers are coming off their first two conference road games, having lost 66-48 to UC Santa Barbara on Friday and 74-66 to Cal Poly on Sunday.

Freshman Adelle Walton was a bright spot for the 49ers, scoring a career-high and team-high 16 points on 3-for-3 shooting from downtown against the Mustangs.

Long Beach State’s leading scorer, Whitney Fields added 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the double-double.

The transfer from Arizona will be matched up against UC Davistop post player in Paige Mintun.

Mintun is averaging 13.3 points per game and 6.8 boards per contest, leading the team in both categories. She scored career-high 25 points in an 86-66 win over Cal State Northridge on Sunday while grabbing 10 rebounds to go along with seven assists, six steals and three blocks.

UC Davis could use more of the same from Mintun from here on out, as Haylee Donaghe will miss the rest of the season due to a knee injury.

The Aggies are most recently off of a ____ (win/loss) against UC Riverside.

_______ scored ______ points and had _________ (rebounds/assists/steals) to lead the Aggies.

Max Rosenblum