New downtown building will host Fuzio, AT&T

When Cantina del Cabo closed in June 2007, many Davis residents lamented the loss of a favorite hangout. The restaurant and bar, known for its roomy digs and expansive beer selection, was demolished shortly after it closed.

The hole in downtown didn’t last for long, though. A new commercial building is now nearing completion in the same location.

Building owner Pat Henderson could not be reached for comment, but deputy city manager Ken Hiatt confirmed that Fuzio Universal Bistro will be one of the building’s new tenants. Fuzio, an Italian fusion restaurant and bar, will move from its current location in the Davis Commons on First Street.

Mikuni, an upscale Japanese restaurant and sushi bar, will be taking over Fuzio’s current location. Mikuni currently operates five restaurants in the Sacramento area, as well as one each in Las Vegas, Reno and Denver.

The new building has room for tenants on G Street as well as on the other side of the block on F Street. An AT&T Wireless store will occupy the F Street side of the building, and another 1,000 square feet of commercial space is still vacant, Hiatt said.

When the building is fully operational, a pedestrian corridor will connect F and G Streets.

“In terms of the design, having a pedestrian access from G to F Street is great,said Sarah Worley, Davis economic development coordinator.

Other Davis downtown businesses are excited about the new construction and activity on G Street.

“Anytime you’ve got new activity [downtown], whether it’s construction, businesses coming in or relocating … that’s all positive, healthy economic activity, which is good news,said Joy Cohan, administrator of the Davis Downtown Business Association.

The DDBA feels that this new project is a positive sign for the downtown Davis economy, she said.

“I think that having Fuzio join that block of G Street adds increased strength in terms of what is going on in terms of dining on that block already,Cohan said.It heightens the awareness of that block in terms of eclectic dining.

Also, the DDBA is excited at the idea of having a pedestrian walkway between G and F streets, one reason being it will provide a useful connection between the movie theaters and the rest of downtown, she added. It will ultimately improve the ease of access in downtown Davis.

“Walkability is one of the key points that we focus on when we talk about Downtown Davis as a green place to shop and dine,Cohan said.So that just increases the green-ness and walkability of downtown Davis.

This additional pedestrian avenue could strengthen the appeal of the entire downtown area, or encourage people to shop locally, she said.

City officials hope that the new G Street building will be fully operational by spring.

CAITLIN COBB can be reached at city@theaggie.org.