Editorial: Writing minor

Beginning fall 2009, the University Writing Program will offer a 20-unit Expository Writing minor.

The minor will consist of four upper division writing classes and a four-unit writing internship. Courses are organized into three categoriesWriting in Academic Settings, Writing in the Professions and Theory, History and Designstudents take one course in each area and an additional course of their choice.

Writing and effective communication are highly valued skills in any discipline, and the minor will provide students with advanced instruction beyond the basic courses required at UC Davis, including pre-professional training in writing and preparation for graduate or professional school.

Offering courses in a wide range of topics, the minor is designed for students in every field, from majors in the liberal arts to areas in the sciences. Since its requirements include courses that already count toward credit for many other majors, adding the minor would be a logical step for those pursuing writing-intensive careers.

Furthermore, the writing minor was created out of resources already on handby using courses that are currently offered on campus, adding the new minor to the course catalog required minimal additional funding.

With this in mind, the university should consider integrating a journalism minor from courses already offered in other departments like communication. UC Davis should also consider expanding the writing minor to a major for those who want an even more focused approach to practical communication and rhetoric.