Men’s basketball preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Cal Poly
Records: Aggies, X-X (X-X); Mustangs, 3-13 (0-6)
Where: The Pavilion
When: Saturday at 7 p.m.
Radio: KHTK (1090-AM)
Who to watch: This time last year, Michael Boone was about to have the finest game of his career.

On Jan. 26, 2008, the 7-foot-2, 270-pound center scored nine points and posted career-high totals of eight rebounds and five blocks in 26 minutes at UC Santa Barbara.

If Boone gets his minutes again on Saturday, the senior could present a tall challenge for an undersized Mustangs team.

Did you know? Cal Poly is the only team in the Big West Conference to not have at least one player on its roster taller than 6-foot-8.

Preview: The Mustangs may have won the Golden Horseshoe Classic in football, but all signs point toward a different ending on Saturday when they face the Aggies on the hardwood.

Cal Poly has lost all six of its Big West games so far and eight straight altogether. The past seven contests have been played without senior Trae Clark, who was lost for the season due to academic ineligibility.

Entering last night’s X-X loss to Pacific, Cal Poly was last in the conference in scoring offense, scoring defense, field goal percentage, three-point field goal percentage defense, rebounding defense, assists and steals.

Senior guard Chaz Thomas and junior guard Lorenzo Keeler are the team’s top two scorers in Big West play, averaging 13.4 and 13.2 points, respectively.

UC Davis netted a 89-75 home win last night over UCSB. Vince Oliver led six Aggies in double-figures by scoring 21 points on 8-for-14 shooting.

David Carter and Kyle Brucculeri added 13 points and three 3-pointers apiece, as UC Davis shot 56.7 percent from the floor and 52.4 percent beyond the arc.

Michael Gehlken