Fitness Frenzy takes over Freeborn

The groundhog has predicted six more weeks of winter, but UC Davis students don’t have to spend it hibernating in their rooms.

When the temperatures drop, finding ways to stay fit outdoors can be challenging. The Fitness and Wellness Center hopes to offer students some options for shaking off the February blues with its winter Fitness Frenzy tonight at 6:30 in Freeborn Hall.

This year’s event is co-sponsored by the UC Davis Alpine Ski and Snowboard team (DASS) and will feature a winter-sport theme, said Elisabeth Marsh, interim assistant director of Fitness and Wellness.

“Our primary goal in the Fitness Frenzies is to bring a unique, fun and stress-free way to enjoy fitness to the campus community,she said.

“For this year’s event, we were inspired by the breadth of our own family here at Campus Recreation the event will showcase our [group exercise] instructors leading a circuit workout as well as the Alpine Ski and Snowboard Sports Club showing off their skills,she said.

In addition to the group workout, Activities and Recreation Center trainers will be conducting complimentary blood pressure and body composition testing and both the Craft Center and Outdoor Adventures will be tabling at the event. Students can also look forward to an array of giveaways and prizes, including a raffle for lift tickets to Sugar Bowl and Dodge Ridge.

The Alpine Ski and Snowboard team will be offering free ski and snowboard waxing as well as leading a few workouts of their own.

“Members from our team will be showing what is called adryland workout,” said Alexander De Pottere, senior international relations major and president of the club.This is basically a series of exercises we do in the gym before the season starts to get in shape and reduce the risk of injury.

Chris Dempster, senior engineering major and co-captain of the team, said winter sports offer students an opportunity to be active outdoors when the thermostat drops.

Snow sports are a lot of fun and make winter more interesting,she said.They are a great alternative to sitting around in Davis during the bad weather. For us skiers the winter is a great time to get up to the mountains, get moving and have fun.

Marsh said the circuit workout demonstration showcases a great alternative for students looking to get involved in group exercise without the choreography of traditional aerobics.

“The circuit class will offer an athletic non-choreographed workout based on winter sports,she said.It is done at your own pace, so you can control the intensity of your workout. Anyone who wants to maximize their time and get cardio and strength training done at one time will enjoy this workout.

The event is free and open to the public. Students can visit the winter Fitness Frenzy Facebook page for more information.

ERICA LEE can be reached at features@theaggie.org.