Be sustainable and stylish

Like it or not, recession chicis all the rage these days.

You can jump on the bandwagon at the Saturday’s rummage sale, sponsored by the Student Fashion Association (SFA). The sale takes place at 915 Craig Place in Davis (near Dollar Tree) and runs from 7 a.m. to noon.

“We hope people will come and bring their friends,said Ashley Carros, SFA’s president and junior textiles and clothing major.There’s some really cute clothes, sometimes you can find some really good deals.

The rummage sale is a means of fundraising for SFA’s third annualShare the Lovecharity fashion show; this year, proceeds will go to Nourish International.

“If we raise enough money we can donate all of our ticket sales to them, which would be $5,000,said Amy Marchiando, Share the Love coordinator and senior textiles and clothing major.

The rummage sale is a good opportunity to find some unique fashion finds, said Rachel Aquino, sophomore political science major and SFA member.

“If you are looking for a fashionable outfit that is affordable, definitely come check it out,she said in an e-mail interview.The thrill of the hunt is fun, especially at rummage sales where you can find an assortment of pieces and put them together to make a one-of-a-kind look.

“I think it’s all about being creative when you’re working with a college budget, and rummage sales are a great way to be resourceful and sustainable too,she said.

Last year, most clothing prices ranged about $1 to $10 per item, Marchiando said in an e-mail interview.

“This may vary if we have brand-new or expensive name-brand items in very good condition, but nothing [will be priced] over $15 or $20,she said.

The Share the Love Fashion Show will take place Mar. 14 at 7:30 at Freeborn Hall. Tickets go on sale Feb. 9 at the Freeborn ticket office.

The show will feature student designers from UC Davis, as well as from other regional colleges such as California State University, Sacramento, American River College and San Francisco State University.

Half the show’s fashions will be conventional wear, while the other half will be sustainable garments.

“Sustainability in the fashion industry is so important. It is one of the most waste producing industries, Marchiando said.

Teenage and college-aged girls are especially known for buyingthrow-awayclothes from trendy low-end retailers, something Marchiando said she wants to change.

“We want to encourage people to be sustainable with their clothing, [such as] fixing clothing when it needs repairing instead of throwing it away and shopping second hand,she said.

SFA is still accepting donations today for the rummage sale. For more information on the rummage sale or the Share the Love Fashion Show, e-mail Ashley Carros at accarros@ucdavis.edu.

ANNA OPALKA can be reached at features@theaggie.org.