News in Brief

Toastmasters group forms in South Davis

Toastmasters International is looking for members to join its new chapter in South Davis, called the Davis Daytime Toastmasters.

The new group is mostly beginning speakers who are eager to learn and help each other improve their speaking, said Ty Tadano in a press release. The group also includes a handful of advanced speakers.

The Davis Daytime Toastmasters meet Wednesdays from noon to 1 p.m. in the executive conference room at 2020 Research Park Drive, Suite 100.

For more information about the group, call Ty Tadano at 792-3257.

Toastmasters International is made up of over 11,700 local clubs with 235,000 members and was founded in 1924.

Wildlife experts plan Valentine’s Day birding tour

Docents from the Yolo Basin Foundation will lead a tour of the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area on Feb. 14. Participants will get a chance to spot male ducks in their brightest plumage, egrets and herons with long breeding plumes, American Avocets and Red-Winged Blackbirds who are in the midst of their mating season, according to a press release.

The tour is mostly a driving tour on gravel roads with several stops and short walks. Anyone interested in joining the tour should meet a few minutes before 9 a.m. in Parking Lot A of the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, at the west end of the Yolo Causeway bridge.

Organizers advise participants to bring binoculars, water and insect repellent. Docents will provide spotting scopes for better wildlife viewing. A $5 donation is suggested.

For more event information or further information on the Yolo Basin Foundation, visit yolobasin.org.