Tough match favors the foe

Heading into Saturday’s Big West Conference opener against UC Santa Barbara, coach Bill Maze knew how tough a fight it would be to be for the Aggies to come out victorious.

“It’s going to be a very tough match, a real battle,Maze said before the match.We’ll have to play very, very well to beat UCSB.

Even though the Aggies (4-4) did indeed play well, putting up 50 singles points to the Gauchos 66, it proved not to be enough as UCSB picked up a 5-2 win.

Hosting UCSB (2-0) at the Marya Welch Tennis Center, UC Davis struggled from the get-go, losing all three doubles matches to fall behind 0-1.

It appeared as though the Aggies would rebound in singles play when the freshman Dahra Zamudio checked in at No. 2 with a 6-2, 7-6 (4) victory over Jill Damion.

It was the first time playing at No. 2 for Zamudio, who has proved herself to Maze this season by going 9-8 overall prior to Saturday’s match.

Even after the freshman checked in with her impressive victory, tying the match up at 1-1, UC Davis could not capitalize on the momentum.

One by one as the Aggies finished up play, four in a row would be chalked up for the Gauchos, sealing the victory for UC Santa Barbara.

The final point of the day was awarded at the No. 6 match, as UC DavisEmma Shapiro defeated Bryanna Ojeda 6-2, 7-6 (4).

The UC Davis women’s tennis team will return to action on Valentine’s Day to face Big West foe Cal State Fullerton.

MATT MILLER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.