ASUCD senators up for auction

Single’s Awareness Night

Sponsored by the ASUCD Entertainment Council

Tonight, 9:30 p.m.

The Graduate, 805 Russell Blvd.

$5 at the door, $8 after 11 p.m.

ASUCD senators vote on bills, attend meetings and represent the students. And tonight, they can also be your Valentine’s dateif you’re the highest bidder, that is.

The ASUCD Entertainment Council will holdSingle’s Awareness Night,a dance party at 9:30 p.m. at The Graduate on 805 Russell. Tickets are $5 at the door and $8 after 11 p.m. Presale tickets are available for $4 at the EC office in the third floor of the Memorial Union.

The event will also feature adate auctionof ASUCD senators and commission chairs.

The proceeds of the date auction will go to Cal Aggie Camp, a summer camp for underprivileged youth and the association’s only philanthropy.

Date auction winners will receive a date and a free meal to a local eatery, and the two highest bidders will receive two free tickets to any of the EC’s future events during the year, said EC Director Thongxy Phansopha.

“[Single’s Awareness Night is] a great way for single people to find a date for one thing, hence the title of the name, but it’s not only limited to single people out there. If you’re in a relationship, come together,Phansopha said in e-mail.This is our biggest dance party of the year.

ASUCD Senator Jack Zwald encourages students to come out to the event.

“It’s going to be a great night it’s going to be hilarious,said Zwald, who will be auctioned off tonight. “[The auction’s proceeds are] going to a great cause, ensuring Cal Aggie Camp’s continued success on our campus.

ASUCD Senator Justin Patrizio, another student official up for auction, said he is excited about the event and enthusiastic to help the cause, although he is a bit nervous about being auctioned.

“It’s a good cause, the more people you get there, the more fun it’s going to be,he said.Plus, you get to see the senators and commission chairs embarrass themselves in front of a lot of people.

“[And if you bid on me], I promise not to talk about ASUCD on the date,he joked.

Like Patrizio, ASUCD Senator Mo Torres is a bit apprehensive about being put up for auction, but fully supports the cause, and encourages people to bid on him.

“Whoever bids on me will have a very fun date,Torres laughed.

ASUCD Controller Paul Harms was auctioned last year and said he enjoyed the event.

“There was a huge crowd and a lot of competitive bidding,he said in an e-mail interview.

Despite the potential embarrassment of being put up on auction, Cal Aggie Camp is a cause ASUCD officials are passionate about.

“It helps disadvantaged children enjoy summer camp, it allows them to be happy, to be kids,Zwald said.

Harms shares Zwald’s views.

“I’ve made a point of visiting the camp each summer while controller, and I believe every dollar that goes to the camp is a dollar that makes a difference in the lives of these children,Harms said.

“Single’s Awareness Nightwill feature DJ Pasha and offer drink specials for those 21 and up (though event-goers need to be 18 to get in).

For more information, visit the Entertainment Council’s Facebook page.

ANNA OPALKA can be reached at features@theaggie.org.